RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Variable Volume Flow and Energy Usage of Fan in AHU

I have not fully analysed the formulae and details of pressure change.

However, that is why VAV AHU had problems when a zone has no reheat or when the damper is fully open.

My suggestion was to model an air bypass at AHU so that the return air collected at the AHU can be cooled independent of the zone total air flow rate.

This was done with the CBVAV using a constant volume fan.

In a real VAV damper installation, there is a PSD (pressure sensing damper) to keep the duct pressure to the VAV diffuser constant.  The VSD (variable speed drive) fan can increase the fan speed, but cannot increase the cooling rate at the coil of the AHU.  The quick solution is to add a preassurized leak at the end of the duct in the plenum.  When the VSD fan inscreases speed, the leak opens and extra cool air is fed to the plenum.  The VSD kept the diffuser pressure the same at around 50 pa.

The control cycle is very similar to what you are describing.

If all the zones have similar loading changes, the problem is minimal, and have problem only when all the zone dampers are fully open.   This was considered as a sizing problem.

The set point not met warnings can be reduced by increase the maximum flow rate of the fan.

 Dr. Li