From: Niraj Poudel <nirajpoudel@xxxxxxxxx>
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:20 PM
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Help with a journal article on PCM + Energyplus

Hi All,

When you look for journal articles on the validation of Energyplus using Phase Change Materials, you are bound to come across the paper, "Validation of veracity on simulating the indoor temperature in PCM light weight building by energyplus." Infact, you can find it here:

http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/energyplus_research.cfm

Now my question is, for those that have read this conference proceeding, could anyone help me understand what the author's mean by "Created 6mm thick plank materials in term of the 5 kg/m2 surface densities?" Clearly in the table they have listed it as 10 mm thick?

Secondly, in the table Material thermal characteristics, they have not provided any information on a) Specific Heat Capacity b) Density of either of the materials. I cannot glean any information on the heat capacity and density of 33#PCM and 40# PCM in the paper at all. If anyone has read this paper, I would really like to hear your thoughts on this.

I went on to the ASHRAE paper on "HEAT, AIR, AND MOISTURE CONTROL IN BUILDING ASSEMBLIES?MATERIAL PROPERTIES" and found relevant information oon the veneer and EPS, but not the PCM materials listed in the article.

Thank you for reading this post,
Sincerely yours'
Niraj Poudel
Clemson University