RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] designday used on more days

You need to explain why you want to do designDay sizing for more than one day.  I may then help you to explore more on the DesignDay sizing or simulation.

In a uniform sine wave, there is only one peak value.  It does not matter how many cycle you look at, it will give you the same peak value.

When you have a distorted sine wave, or the sum of a number of sine waves, then the peak value can change.  Looking for a few consequtive  cycles may not give you the maximum peak value.

The measurement then relies on statitistical approach, using peak to average ratio, fast rise and slow decay by integration, etc.  Power based measurement are used to sum a number of similar waveform together, loading factor.

Then the maximum peak is defined for a specific type of waveforms.

 With TMY, the data cover a period of one year and have a daily cycle.  In general, the Winter has lower temperature and Summer has higher temperature as a day time maximum in the Northern hemisphere.

ASHRAE IWEC has a certain statistical information of the weather file as the header of the weather file.
The more detailed statistical data is in the .stat file.  For sizing application, the .ddy file has the EPlus DesignDay objects for heating and cooling season, at various level of high and low probability of occurance.  The follow is an example of a heating DesignDay object listing.

! Los Angeles Intl Arpt_CA_USA Annual Heating Design Conditions Wind Speed=2.4m/s Wind Dir=90
! Coldest Month=JAN
! Los Angeles Intl Arpt_CA_USA Annual Heating 99.6%, MaxDB=6.9°C

SizingPeriod:DesignDay,
Los Angeles Intl Arpt Ann Htg 99.6% Condns DB, !- Name
6.9, !- Maximum Dry-Bulb Temperature {C}
0.0, !- Daily Dry-Bulb Temperature Range {deltaC}
6.9, !- Humidity Indicating Conditions at Maximum Dry-Bulb
100965., !- Barometric Pressure {Pa}
2.4, !- Wind Speed {m/s}
90, !- Wind Direction {deg}
0.00, !- Sky Clearness
0, !- Rain Indicator
0, !- Snow Indicator
21, !- Day of Month
1, !- Month
WinterDesignDay, !- Day Type
0, !- Daylight Saving Time Indicator
WetBulb; !- Humidity Indicating Type

!- =====================

Annual Heating 99.6%, MaxDB=6.9°C  is the special characteristic of the DesignDay object.

It means that only 0.4% of the days in the year may be colder than this condition.  Note also that it has no sun during the day.

There may be more than 16 different DesignDay object files in a .ddy file for one locaion with different combination of humidity indicating type, and dry bulb/ % values.

There are a few more fields below the WetBulb.

DesignDay sizing object may originally specially designed for sizing of HVAC equipment.

I am using it for running current locally measured environment data, as the fields are easier to change and modify..

Using weather file for sizing is not really adviceable, unless you know the content of the weather file well.

Using a shorter section of weather file to run normal simulation is to save time, while debugging.

The reason to use normal weather file simulation is that the Sizing run using DesignDay assumes that the warming up is using the same data until the two midnight results matches.  Separate warm up run is done for every DesignDay object.

In the run peiod simulation, the zone sizing, system sizing, and plant sizing is done, and then the weather file data is used one day after another till the end of the day chosen, the process can be asked to repeat a few times to verify that the data  initializing process is not affecting the first day's result.

Many users are not following this sizing  and run period procedure and get unexpected reaults.

Because I also use the DesignDay sizing run for other purposes, that was  why I ask you the reason for doing multiple designDay run.

I am doing multiple DesignDay object sizing run using different DesignDay data on different date  to study the effect of sun beam through windows.  No HVAC equipment is involved in my studies.

 Dr. Li