[EnergyPlus_Support] RE: Refrigeration Compressor/Condenser Curves

The EnergyPlus distribution includes a large data set of compressor curves, see the file called RefrigerationCompressorCurves.idf.  If your compressor isn’t in there, perhaps try to recreate one that is included as a way of checking your curve fitting approach.

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of matthewrlarson@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 9:06 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: MattDubrovich@xxxxxxxxx; TaylorWRoberts@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Refrigeration Compressor/Condenser Curves

EnergyPlus Team,

We are working on building a model for a supermarket and using the detailed refrigeration method for the refrigeration system.  In doing this, we are hoping to be able to use actual compressor and condenser curves that are being installed for the different refrigeration systems.  We were able to obtain coefficients for the compressor models on their website but when we followed the Engineering Reference Document in setting up the compressor curves, we ended up with EER’s around 15 for the compressors, which is too high (expecting between 2-5).  Based on this we are also questioning the condenser curves.  We then tried to recreate the compressor curves found in the dataset based on coefficients from the manufacturer and they did not match.  Has anyone had any success in created these curves and/or has any insight on how the dataset curves were created and if they are even accurate anymore.

Thank you in advance,

Matthew Larson, CEM, LEED AP BD+C
Project Engineer

Energy Solutions Group