[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Fan On/Off depends on another zone temperature

Vinay and I recently proposed different solutions to a user who was also trying to move air from one zone to the other based on dT. 'ZoneVentilation:DesignFlowRate' does take its air from outdoors therefore I favour the ZoneMixing object. The only catch with my solution is that fan energy is not in the equation. Though to post process the flow results to obtain a energy consumption for the fan is simple. It is just a function of flow and fan pressure. If you are familiar with EMS you could even program a routine to calculate it dynamically. I think the fan energy will be very small, but the additional gains from moving the air around may also be.

There is another concept where the energy is transported via water (Water-side econimizer). A hot server room may be equiped with a fan and coil arrangement, the energy transfers from the hot zone air into the water in the coil (assisted by the fan blowing the hot room air over it). A pump then pumps this warmer water to another zone that requires heat or to the outdoors where a similar fan and coil arrangment is. The server room is fed with the cooled water. Free cooling, except for fan and pump energies.

I like the air transport version in some situations and the water variation in others.

Let us know how you get on.