RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Actual Air flow ?

Sorry that I jump in to your discussion, because I do not seem to understand  the purpose of these two diagrams.

A Zone has four ports for air flow.  The two inlet ports are connected in the zone.  The total zone air is split into two outlet ports, when there are more than one air paths.  I called them ports, because I am an EE.  A branch has two ports.  A node is usually a connection between two or more components or ports.

The middle of a zone is a node.  It is between a internal mixer and splitter.

For node naming purposes, EPlus is using the outlet name as the node name for the nodes in templates.  The inlet connection is now using the outlet port name of the preceding branch.

When connected to the OD air, one of the outlet ports is connected to the OA mixer or exhaust to OD directly.

When using inter-zone mixing, the zone node exchange heat between the zones, and there may not be any air flow.

If you are using the node number for AFN, there will be five external OD nodes, 4 sides and the roof.  The inter zone path direction will follow the external air pressure direction.  For air to flow through a building, there must be at least two OD air nodes.  Inter zone openings are required to complete the air path.

The external pressure determines the air flow.  The exhaust air is not ignored, as the heat in minus heat out is the net heat gain in the building, which is related to temperature difference and air volume.  Exhaust volume is the same as the inlet volume.

One OD air node cannot create a pressure difference, therefore no air flow through windows mounted on the same wall.  Node1 for the zone is not effective for AFN.  There must be another OD air node on the other side or another side of the building.

 Dr. Li