From: Dru Crawley
Sent: 7/21/2012 2:07 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Detailed ICE storage - for PCMs?
Nodes & curves question
You can run all design days but it is not necessary. Dr. Li is correct you
only REQUIRE two (heating/cooling).  I have seen buildings that have
cooling peaks in September rather than July so I often will include an
extra design day or two in September/October (ASHRAE has included monthly
design conditions in the Fundamentals for awhile now).  It does depend on
the building configuration and systems.  (That said, for research purposes,
you may want to consider more than the single heating and cooling peaks.)

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Linda Lawrie <linda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> **
>

> Correction -- I would not have said that.  I would have said it depends on
> your system -- and that the guidance is given in the ASHRAE HOF about what
> kind of design conditions are appropriate for which systems.  Now, if you
> do use the full set that we produce for each ASHRAE HOF location -- you
> will probably get the blanket ones accomplished.
>
> In addition, there are the "monthly ASHRAE design conditions" which could
> be used.  We will generate those for the current ASHRAE HOF for the Spring
> 2013 release (or earlier).
>

> At 12:49 PM 7/21/2012, CleanTech Analytics wrote:
>

>    1. I have heard mixed messages about design day objects- for instance
>    I have been told that all design day objects should be ran to produce
>    accurate sizing by Linda & Drew, but told by Paulo the same as you say of
>    only two needed. For using two I wonder what is the best way to choose the
>    correct design days, and for some time thought it made more since to use
>    Weather file:extreme summer week/Weather file:extreme winter week so
>    that I could run the same building at many locations during parametric runs
>    and so I did not have to make arbitrary choices of Design Days. Lately I
>    have just been running files with all Design Days to be on the safe side.
>    I guess ASHRAE standards would be a good place for me to research for the
>    best day type to choose/use. (your advise on this was appreciated)

--0016e6d58da6487ff004c55d6737

font-size: 11pt;">Thanks Drew, I will re-read 90.1, as my research is geare=
d towards the standard. My logic in using all design days is to assure size=
ing is correct without&nbsp; making an arbratary choice.<br>Thanks again<br=
ly: Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold;">From: </span><s=
pan style=3D"font-family: Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">Dru Crawley<=
/span><br><span style=3D"font-family: Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; f=
ont-weight: bold;">Sent: </span><span style=3D"font-family: Tahoma,sans-ser=
if; font-size: 10pt;">7/21/2012 2:07 PM</span><br><span style=3D"font-famil=
y: Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold;">To: </span><span=
 style=3D"font-family: Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">EnergyPlus_Supp=
ort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</span><br><span style=3D"font-family: Tahoma,sans-serif=
; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold;">Subject: </span><span style=3D"font-=
family: Tahoma,sans-serif; font-size: 10pt;">Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Detai=
y></html>

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/htm=
l4/strict.dtd">
<head>
</head>

<!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStartT|**|-~-->
<!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEndT|**|-~-->

     =20
     =20
 Li is correct you only REQUIRE two (heating/cooling).=C2=A0=C2=A0I have se=
en buildings that have cooling peaks in September rather than July so I oft=
en will include an extra design day or two in September/October (ASHRAE has=
 included monthly design conditions in the Fundamentals for awhile now).=C2=
=A0 It does=C2=A0depend on the building configuration and systems.=C2=A0 (T=
hat said, for research purposes, you may want to consider more than the sin=
gle heating and cooling peaks.)</div>
 2:54 PM, Linda Lawrie <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:linda@fortla=
blockquote style=3D"border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);border-left-width:1p=
x;border-left-style:solid;" class=3D"gmail_quote">

<u></u>

     =20
     =20

ve
said it depends on your system -- and that the guidance is given in the
ASHRAE HOF about what kind of design conditions are appropriate for which
systems.=C2=A0 Now, if you do use the full set that we produce for each
ASHRAE HOF location -- you will probably get the blanket ones
accomplished.<br><br>
In addition, there are the &quot;monthly ASHRAE design conditions&quot;
which could be used.=C2=A0 We will generate those for the current ASHRAE
iv class=3D"im"><br><br>
At 12:49 PM 7/21/2012, CleanTech Analytics
<ol>
<li><font size=3D"3" face=3D"verdana">I have heard mixed messages about des=
ign
day objects- for instance I have been told that all design day objects
should be ran to produce accurate sizing by Linda &amp; Drew, but told by
Paulo the same as you say of only two needed. For using two I wonder what
is the best way to choose the correct design days, and for some time
thought it made more since to use Weather
<a>file:extreme</a> summer
week/Weather <a>file:extreme</a>
winter week so that I could run the same building at many locations
during parametric runs and so I did not have to make arbitrary choices of
Design Days. Lately I have just been running files with all Design Days
to be on the safe side.=C2=A0 I guess ASHRAE standards would be a good
place for me to research for the best day type to choose/use. (your
advise on this was appreciated)</font>=20

    =20

   =20

 =20

    =20

    <!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->
<!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~-->

<!--~-|**|PrettyHtmlStart|**|-~-->
<head>
  <!--
  #ygrp-mkp {
  border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
  font-family: Arial;
  margin: 10px 0;
  padding: 0 10px;
}

#ygrp-mkp hr {
  border: 1px solid #d8d8d8;
}

#ygrp-mkp #hd {
  color: #628c2a;
  font-size: 85%;
  font-weight: 700;
  line-height: 122%;
  margin: 10px 0;
}

#ygrp-mkp #ads {
  margin-bottom: 10px;
}

#ygrp-mkp .ad {
  padding: 0 0;
}

#ygrp-mkp .ad p {
  margin: 0;
}

#ygrp-mkp .ad a {
  color: #0000ff;
  text-decoration: none;
}
  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc {
  font-family: Arial;
}

#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd {
  margin: 10px 0px;
  font-weight: 700;
  font-size: 78%;
  line-height: 122%;
}

#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad {
  margin-bottom: 10px;
  padding: 0 0;
}

  a {
    color: #1e66ae;
  }

  #actions {
    font-family: Verdana;
    font-size: 11px;
    padding: 10px 0;
  }

  #activity {
    background-color: #e0ecee;
    float: left;
    font-family: Verdana;
    font-size: 10px;
    padding: 10px;
  }

  #activity span {
    font-weight: 700;
  }

  #activity span:first-child {
    text-transform: uppercase;
  }

  #activity span a {
    color: #5085b6;
    text-decoration: none;
  }

  #activity span span {
    color: #ff7900;
  }

  #activity span .underline {
    text-decoration: underline;
  }

  .attach {
    clear: both;
    display: table;
    font-family: Arial;
    font-size: 12px;
    padding: 10px 0;
    width: 400px;
  }

  .attach div a {
    text-decoration: none;
  }

  .attach img {
    border: none;
    padding-right: 5px;
  }

  .attach label {
    display: block;
    margin-bottom: 5px;
  }

  .attach label a {
    text-decoration: none;
  }
 =20
  blockquote {
    margin: 0 0 0 4px;
  }

  .bold {
    font-family: Arial;
    font-size: 13px;
    font-weight: 700;
  }

  .bold a {
    text-decoration: none;
  }

  dd.last p a {
    font-family: Verdana;
    font-weight: 700;
  }

  dd.last p span {
    margin-right: 10px;
    font-family: Verdana;
    font-weight: 700;
  }

  dd.last p span.yshortcuts {
    margin-right: 0;
  }

  div.attach-table div div a {
    text-decoration: none;
  }

  div.attach-table {
    width: 400px;
  }

  div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active, div.file-title a:hover, div.fi=
le-title a:visited {
    text-decoration: none;
  }

  div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title a:hover, div=
.photo-title a:visited {
    text-decoration: none;
  }

  div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts {
    font-family: Verdana;
    font-size: 10px;
    font-weight: normal;
  }

  .green {
    color: #628c2a;
  }

  .MsoNormal {
    margin: 0 0 0 0;
  }

  o {
    font-size: 0;
  }

  #photos div {
    float: left;
    width: 72px;
  }

  #photos div div {
    border: 1px solid #666666;
    height: 62px;
    overflow: hidden;
    width: 62px;
  }

  #photos div label {
    color: #666666;
    font-size: 10px;
    overflow: hidden;
    text-align: center;
    white-space: nowrap;
    width: 64px;
  }

  #reco-category {
    font-size: 77%;
  }

  #reco-desc {
    font-size: 77%;
  }

  .replbq {
    margin: 4px;
  }

  #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {
   /* border-right: 0px solid #000;*/
    margin-right: 2px;
    padding-right: 5px;
  }

  #ygrp-mlmsg {
    font-size: 13px;
    font-family: Arial, helvetica,clean, sans-serif;
    *font-size: small;
    *font: x-small;
  }

  #ygrp-mlmsg table {
    font-size: inherit;
    font: 100%;
  }

  #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {
    font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;
  }

  #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code {
    font:115% monospace;
    *font-size:100%;