RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: How to set up a Coil:Heating:Water object in a CAV system to controls?

When you use the gas burner, the capacity is probably not limited, or sized to the same value..

Did you use setpointmanager:singlezone:heating with the gas coil?  How do you apply this to a multizone AHU?  Can the manager be set to monitor the zone temperature, then how does it control the AHU?  Draw a little control schematic diagram and see whether the program control make sense.

When you use the water coil and a controller, the capacity is limited by your sizing condition which fixed the supply air volumn to a zone..  If you use a VAV damper, the supply available to the zone is control by the VAV damper sized with a certain condition of air flow volume, and controlled by the zone thermostat. Normally the zone is sized slitly below the zone requirement and then make up by the reheat.  You cannot reduce temperature using reheat.

If you are not using VAV damper in the zone, the master zone thermostat should control the AHU.  If you use  setpoint manaager, the control value should be the average temperature of all zones.  I am not sure whether thhis is available.

If you need a reheat coil to make up the capacity, it is an indication that the water coil is under sized or the setpoint temperature is too low.  As the zone load may not change in sync, some zone will have different temperature.

Do you have the controller and the setpoint manager for both cases?

The use of setpoint manager fixed the supply air tempeature to a  value different from the sizing value., if this value is lower than the required value, the reheat is used to make up the difference.  In the master zone control mode, the zone thermostat in the other zones are not operative to control the AHU, but may be avilable for the reheat coil..   Without the reheat, the setpoint not met warning may be issured.

The problem may not be the heating coil difference, but the controller differences or design differences..

SVG diagram only shows the connections.  It will not show the sizing or "zone temperature not met" errors.

 Dr. Li