To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: kontante@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 17:46:18 -0700
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Problem with low heting values from e+

Antonis,
Just for the fun of it I modified your model with Fanger thermal comfort thermostats, weather file extreme day, changed the HVAC to the non-template ideal loads system, added a phase change material and some output variables..
I like to run all simulations at 60 timesteps for increased accuracy so changed that as well.

The HVAC energy is much more, but that is how it goes with comfort control thermostats as they are based on the operative temperature, air velocity, zone averaged surface temperatures and amount of occupants rather then the normal well mixed air temperatures.

 The specific heat of your materials looks fine- and I tried a run with normal design days but that had no real effect.
If the same building had greatly different results in V6 to V7.1 you may wish to submit a ticket to the energy plus help desk as they would know best and could provide the most definitive answers.

I like the fanger thermostats because I feel it more accurately reflects what will make for a comfortable environment- but it does increase energy consumption quite a bit so I am not sure if it is more or less accurate than choosing thermostat setpoints arbitrarily with the assumption that people will not change them.

Other items I can think of that might cause such low energy (other then a very good design) use could be ground temps and infiltration objects.

Not sure how helpful my modifications where but I figure it might get you thinking--- All the best-

Jeremiah D. Crossett
CleanTech Analytics

This document may contain valuable information proprietary to CleanTech Analytics which is private and confidential. It may not be shared, copied, stored or transmitted in any form without the prior written consent of CleanTech Analytics