[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Sizing according to ASHRAE 90.1

I noticed that for that station (and also for other stations) the coldest temperatures of the test reference year are lower than the design temperature:  for Milano IWEC the coldest temperature of the test reference year is -10.85°C while the heating design temperature is -9.1°C. ASHRAE Fundamentals handbook 1997 (unfortunately I don't have version 2009) states that it provides "Dry-bulb temperature corresponding to 99.6% and 99.0% annual cumulative frequency of occurrence (cold)". Therefore, are the data of the design days available in http://www.energyplus.gov/weatherdata_about.cfm relative to long-term periods or relative to the test reference years?

Best Regards