RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Fan Pressure Rise for a PTAC

Felipe,

If you are preparing a model for a “Baseline” system, then the pressure rise and fan efficiency must be selected to result in the proper power per ASHRAE 90.1.

You can calculate the desired pressure drop for an ASHRAE Baseline system 1-4 using the formula below:

Pressure rise (IP units) = (0.00094 + (Pressure Credit inches w.c.)/4131)*(Assumed Fan Efficiency as decimal)*6356)

e.g.,

ASHRAE Baseline #1

Fan Efficiency = .5

Pressure Credit  = 0.0

Pressure Rise = (.00094 + 0/4131) * .5 * 6356

                            = 2.99 inches water column

The same approach can be used for ASHRAE #5 and higher using .0013 instead of .00094

As I mentioned earlier, the fan efficiency can be selected at any value.  When used together with this calculated Pressure Rise, E+ will calculate the proper fan power.

You’ll have to determine the SI correction factors!  I hope that this gives you an idea of the procedure.

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
www.buildingperformanceteam.com
Energy Analysis, Commissioning & Training Services
1631 Acacia Drive, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 USA
616 450 8653