RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Simplest way to control RH in a zone

Hi, Toby

Sorry that if I make you sound stupid.  When a question is asked in the forum, usually only get a portion what was intended to ask.

At first, you seems to be confused by the number of components in the HVAC system, that was the reason why I said that the normal procedure is to cool the air to get the humidity ratio you need for the 25°C 55% RH, and then let the room air heat it back up.  If the duct temperature is too low, a heating coil at the AHU can be used to add more heat, so that the result air temperature in the room is 25°C.  Because the humidity ratio is adjusted, therefore the RH value will hold.

The humidistat tells the system how much moisture is pressent or needed in the room.  When this is set in the EPlus system object, the supply air is adjusted to the required temperature.  I called it the dewpoint as it is close to that.

When the outdoor air is dry, aspecially in Winter, humidifier is needed to add moisture into the indoor air stream.  This is also included in the EPlus object.   Both dehumidification and humidification requires extra energy.

Your first or second question seems to want to know what is the added load for 1 to 8 person under the controlled environment.  Because it is already the controlled environment, the added load is the people load itself.  Therefore, the activity schelule and occupency, etc. determines the annual load and not the weateher file any more.  That was what I wanted to point out.  Because half the year, the load saves the heating load, and the other  half year adds to the cooling load, the net may be very small.

The IdealLoadsAirSystem is one which provides heeting and cooling directly into a zone without using any equpment.  It is easy to use, but difficult to understand how it is done.   If you have any more question on  EPlus please do not hesitate to ask.

I am now 81 years old and retired, and I enjoy helping users to understand how the EPlus should be used.

 Dr. Li