RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] How To Change Warning into Fatal Error? (schedule:file CSV line endings)

EMS does have a built in function called @FatalHaltEp.  It may be possible to test the schedule somehow and then call that function to fatal out.

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ryan_Element
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:53 AM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] How To Change Warning into Fatal Error? (schedule:file CSV line endings)

Greetings,

I would like to change certain energyplus-warnings into fatal errors, so that
instead of running after issuing a certain warning, the simulation will be
terminated.

I found the Output:PreprocessorMessage object in the I/O reference, but I'm not
sure how to use it - or even if it's the right approach.

WHY would I want this, you ask? Because there is one warning (IMO) that should
be an error, and should cause the simulation to terminate...I use the
schedule:file object to reference several schedules stored in a CSV file.
Occasionally I edit this CSV file using excel on my apple computer. When I save
the CSV file in excel, the line-endings are set as
macintosh-text-file-line-endings. After saving the CSV with mac-based-line
endings, I run my energyplus simulation on my apple computer. Sadly, energyplus
cannot read text files with mac-based line-endings, so it issues a warning to
that effect, but continues to run - WITHOUT the schedules it was intended to
use.

I can circumvent this issue by re-saving the CSV file in a text editor and
specifying that it should have unix-based-line-endings. With
unix-based-line-endings, the file is readable by energyplus, and my simulation
works properly. This is truly annoying, as I edit the CSV file regularly, and
don't want to go through the additional steps of re-saving it with unix-based
line-endings each time. It is also annoying because IF I forget to re-save the
CSV file, the simulation still runs without an error, and I don't realize that
anything is amiss until I view the bogus results, ponder why the results are
bogus, remember to check on the CSV file line-endings, and so on.

Thanks for your help

Ryan

<http://energyplus.helpserve.com>http://energyplus.helpserve.com or send a message to energyplus-support@xxxxxxxx

<http://www.energyplus.gov>http://www.energyplus.gov