To: energyplus_support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: yxue2011@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 12:22:17 -0700
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Zone Air Balance Surface Convection Rate VS Surface Inside Face Convection Heat Gain Rate

Dear All

I'm struggling with the comparison results of the variables "Zone Air Balance Surface Convection Rate" and "Surface Inside Face Convection Heat Gain Rate". According to the definition of the inputoutputreference, they both mean the heat transfer from surface to zone air. I think the sum of all surface inside convection heat gain rate should be equal to zone air balance surface convection rate, especially for a steady simulation.

Recently, I did the steady simulation for a building with 5 zones and check surface convection variables for north zone. However, the sum of "Surface Inside Face Convection Heat Gain Rate" for all North Zone surfaces equals +8125 and the "Zone Air Balance Surface Convection Rate" equals -8136. Although the absolute value of them are similar but why with different signs (one is negative and the other is positive)? Did I misunderstand something? I attached the idf file with output of the two variables, could anybody give me the answer? Thank you very much.

Yan