Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] SolarCollectorFlatPlateWater Warnings

Hi Marko, I had a very similar problem some time ago.  In my case the problem was either below freezing temperatures at night in winter or above boiling temperatures in full summer and a related bug, because it was reporting warnings for no  flow moments, for the wrong fluid!
 This was the answer from  Helpserve, I hope it helps.

Regards,

Santiago.

"You seem to have stumbled upon a problem with the simulation. The -0.09C water temp warning is triggered, but I do not see those temps in the output file (*.csv). This usually means that the warning was tripped before the simulation completed the time step simulation. In addition, the error is tripped when thesolar collector flow rate = 0. This is one of my favorite types of errors (or false errors).

I am not sure what the model should do here, store heat or set outlet = inlet. I will have to ask for help on this one.

As far as your simulation goes, it looks like it's working as you have programmed it. I would review the temps and flow through the collectors to see if the operation is as you intend. For example, during the winter design day, the collectors are cycling on and off. Is this what you intended?

I turned off the differential availability manager and this cycling nearly disappeard. I recommend plotting some collector temps and flow rates and you will see how the system responds to your inputs.

AvailabilityManagerAssignmentList,
Collector Loop Availability Manager List, !- Name
AvailabilityManager:HighTemperatureTurnOff, !- Availability Manager 1 Object Type
High Temperature Turn Off Availability Manager, !- Availability Manager 1 Name
AvailabilityManager:LowTemperatureTurnOn, !- Availability Manager 2 Object Type
Low Temperature Turn On Availability Manager; !- Availability Manager 2 Name
! AvailabilityManager:DifferentialThermostat, !- Availability Manager 3 Object Type
! Differential Thermostat Availability Manager; !- Availability Manager 3 Name

Good job on reporting variables related to the error message. I didn't need to add any report variables to diagnose this problem. You couldn't see what caused the problem because it did not show up in the final results.

Move on with your simulation while we investigate the solution.

'Richard Raustad
Standard EnergyPlus Support is provided free of charge by the U.S. Department of Energy, as part of the continuing effort to improve this building simulation tool. Expedited, priority support may be available from other sources. For a list of EnergyPlus Consultants, see http://simulationresearch.lbl.gov/projects/energyplus

Ticket Details"

Ticket ID: 6091
Department: General
Type: Issue