[EnergyPlus_Support] jEPlus v1.4 for ultra flexible parametrics definition and result extraction

Hi All,

Following the good news of E+ ‘V8’ release (yes it is faster!), I am pleased to announce jEPlus v1.4, which continues to offer unparalleled flexibility in defining parametric projects, and result collection. If you are already using jE+ v1.2 or v1.3, you won’t notice much changes in the GUI. However, there are two new features in the underlying mechanism that I would consider as the biggest changes since v0.5. jE+ v1.4 can be found here: http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jeplus/

The first new feature is “combinatorial parameter”, which is a parameter definition that contain two or more search tag – values pairs. For example, if you want to change the size and location of a window, there are 4 values (x1, y1, x2, y2) have to be modified together. Before v1.4, you’d have to either import external text blocks, or to create many thin branches in the parameter tree. With v1.4, however, defining one parameter to govern the size and location of a window is possible. All you need to do is assigning “@@x1@@|@@y1@@|@@x2@@|@@y2@@” as the search tag, assigning “{1|1|2|2, 1.1|1|1.9|2, 1|0.8|2|1.8 ...}” as the alternative values, and inserting “@@x1@@”, “@@y1@@”, “@@x2@@” and “@@y2@@” at the right location in the IDF file. jE+ will then parse the definition and assign correct values to the corresponding fields.

The second impotent new feature relates to simulation result extraction. Since v0.5, jE+ uses ReadVarESO to extract results from the eplusout.eso file. E+’s SQLite output provides an incredibly flexible and powerful way to retrieve the exact results you want, including tabular outputs such as sizing and cost reports. (Every time I find something useful in the E+ package, I cannot help but wondering how many hidden treasures are there still. I wonder if anyone ever used all feature of E+!) SQLite output is now supported by jE+ v1.4. For a quick tutorial, please check here: http://youtu.be/9Cf0yHYxd-M. It is time to learn some SQL language!

We are still working on updating the user’s guide. Please feel free to contact me or Ivan Korolija if you want to make use of these new features.

Best regards,

Yi

Dr Yi Zhang

IESD, De Montfort University, Leicester, United Kingdom