Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] PTAC issues

Thanks for the response. But I'm still trying to figure out why there is effectively no heating being used. All my heating is coming from electric coils, and my loads/load schedules seem appropriate for the building (people,equip,light). However several of my interior zones have no heating load. I'm also not using fan or heating schedules, could this be the source of the problem?

Maxim

From: "Richard Raustad" <RRaustad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "EnergyPlus Support" <EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 9, 2013 9:55:15 AM
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] PTAC issues

The warning is telling you that the PTAC is operating in cooling mode when it is -3C outside. Creating a different performance curve will not eliminate the warning (although we should make this a recurring instead of printing thousands of them). What is means by special performance curves is that manufacturers do not provide cooling performance data at these cold temperatures, you need to assure yourself that the curves you are using are accurate at the cold outdoors temps.

DX equipment can have difficulty circulating oil at these temp's which can cause the compressor to fail. It won't fail in the simulation, but it might in a real building.

Although it is possible to need cooling during cold winters, it seems unlikely. For example, an economizer could be used instead. Or if cooling is required, a water-cooled condenser could be used.

You need to determine what in your simulation causes the zone(s) to request cooling. Equipment/lighting loads, ground temperature in contact with the slab, etc.