[EnergyPlus_Support] How is a radiant system (such as concrete core activation) physically modelled?

Hello,

I am trying to model a low temperature radiant floor in EnergyPlus. Ihave read the documentation of EnergyPlus (engineering reference p.1022 HeatExchanger Formulation for Hydronic Systems â?" Radiant System Models) about how a lowtemperature radiant system is modelled. What I found relatively inadequate arethe assumptions that are taken (lower part of p.1022).

I also have usedTRNSYS in the past to model similar systems and have read the documentationwhich presents a more scientifically approved, in my opinion, method tosimulate these systems. What is used in TRNSYS and the documentation is totallybased on a paper written by Markus Koschenz and Beat Lehmann and is titled ¡¢ThermoaktiveBauteilsysteme tabs¢¢(July 2000).

I will make a very small overview of the paper but it would be good to have a look at it in order to understand what this is actually about. You can also read it from the TRNSYS 17 Documentation ¡¢Volume 5 Multizone Building modeling with Type56 and TRNBuild¢¢ Chapter 5.4.4.

According toKoschenz, Lehmann, there are 4 resistors (imagine these as processes duringwhich water loses part of its thermal energy due to different reasons) whichmodel the transfer of water from the boiler (or better form the node before itenters the tubing of the thermally activated layer) to the inside of the tubes.

What is written in Italics is part of the EnergyPlus Documentation (engineering reference p.1022 HeatExchanger Formulation for Hydronic Systems â?" Radiant System Models).

According toKoschenz, Lehmann, the resistance Rz represents the temperature drop of thefluid as it flows through the tubing in the wall.

I do not understand what the source is. Is it a boiler or is it the location of the central axis of the tubing. If the source is the boiler (or any equipment which heats or cools the water), there is only the heat flux taken into account due toforced convection between the central axis of the tube (where water flows) and the inner part of the tube. This resistor is called Rw according to Koschenz,Lehmann and has the smallest value (10 times smaller than each one of the other resistors).

To sum up, if I am not mistaken, the only resistance that EnergyPlus takes into account is Rw (the smaller one) and the others are assumed to be zero. This leads to the fact that the radiant system models produced by EnergyPlus will be relatively enhanced and not very correct or accurate.

Is there anybody specialized in this field to give me some answers or is there a way to incorporate the resistances missing myself, into the model?

Moreover, is it possible to forward this EP-model to OpenStudio 0.11.0?

I can imagine that this thing may not have a very big impact on a whole energy simulation but I believe it is something important that has to be mentioned.

Any assistance would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance