[EnergyPlus_Support] Explanation of California Energy Commission's new CZ2010 weather files

I am reposting a recent reply I made on the eQuest_Users bulletin board explaining the status of California Energy Commission's new weather files for Title-24 compliance, because I thought it might be of interest to other modelers who might be doing work in California.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D
Moraga CA 94556
yjhuang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://weather.whiteboxtechnologies.com for simulation-ready weather data
http://www.whiteboxtechnologies.com
(o) (925)388-0265
(c) (510)928-2683

Michael,

Your first statement is not quite correct.  The California Energy Commission had commissioned in 2009 the creation of a new set of standard weather files to replace the pre-existing 16 CZXXRV2 weather files, for which I was the contractor.  This work, which was finished in December 2011, resulted in a set of 86 CZ2010 weather files and are available for public download on my company Web site at  http://weather.whiteboxtechnologies.com, click on CZ2010  (all files contain the same weather file in three formats -  archival *.TM2,  *.EPW, and *.BINM).

The California Energy Commission has yet to decide whether to allow the use of all 86 weather files in Title-24 calculations, or to limit it to a subset of 16, i.e., one standard file per Climate Zone as before.  From a technical point of view, I strongly support the former position, although there are administrative issues that need to be addressed to avoid creating confusion or "gaming the system" that I hope the Commission will address in the coming year.

As an interim place-holder, I worked with the Commission staff and consultants in late 2011 to assign representative locations out of the 86 for each of the 16  Title-24 Climate Zones.  This list was shown at a Nov. 2011 workshop in Sacramento (see attached, full PPT available on the Commission Web site - search for "Huang Weather Data Presentation") and is probably the basis for what you've heard about the CZ08 file changing from El Toro to Fullerton.

Although I am not violently opposed to such an interpretation, I do wish to mention the following caveats:
1) the pre-existing CZXXRV2 weather files were adjusted in the early 1990's (that's the reason for the RV2 designation) to be more representative of the climates within each Climate Zone; therefore, it's incorrect to refer to any of them as being from a specific location, i.e., CZ08RV2 != El Toro.
2) the new CZ2010 weather files have not undergone any such adjustment process (nor would I recommend so doing), and should be regarded as "representative" rather than "average" weather files for each Climate Zone, selected based primarily on population and only secondarily on climate considerations.

The last point I want to make is that the CZ2010 files are different from the TMY3 weather files for the same stations in many ways:
1) uniform period of record (1996-2009)
2) uniform typical months for all 86 stations
3) solar radiation from remotely-sensed data, i.e., satellite-derived
4) different software used to fill missing data

So, to make a long story short, if you're concerned about the Commission's change in standard weather data,  please download the new CZ2010 weather files at http://weather.whiteboxtechnologies.com/CZ2010