Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] extreme weather data

Your best bet is the National Solar Radiation Data Base (NSRDB) from NREL that contains the hourly weather data for 1,454 US locations from 1991 through 2010.
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_data/nsrdb/1991-2010/
That'll give you plenty of data to work with.

 What is your definition of extreme weather conditions?  Are you looking for individual hourly values, or actual weather sequences? If you're studying this with EnergyPlus (or any simulation program), I would recommend the latter, since the building's response to climatic conditions depends a great deal on the thermal history extending for up to several days. 20% above normal sounds much too lax to me, since ASHRAE design conditions are defined as 0.4%, 1%, and 2%  for cooling and 99.6%, 99%, and 98% for heating.

If you're working to select extreme temperature sequences, e.g., most extreme 3-day or 5-day sequences, you might look at work done about 20 years ago by Don Colliver for ASHRAE (don't remember the RP number or title), where he produced 5-day design sequences for 230+ US locations based on the highest or lowest average daily temperatures, selected using the same 0.4%, 1% criteria and method as used for the ASHRAE Design Condition tables.  I would think that updating that work using the NSRDB would get you what you need, but you might want to modify the selection criteria.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D