Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Quick path to learn HVAC detailed modeling approach, is there an

Jill,
I tried out params briefly and do not think that it (a text/ruby based parametric tool) is anything like what the user is asking for. Also, he is asking how to create custom HVAC designs, not really asking for templates. Lastly, here is the link on your website for params and your open source templates?

Hisham,
When doing the energy plus training in Seattle earlier this year the subject was touched upon.  The teacher and e+ team member Dr. Mike Witte said that Energy Plus is designed to be used with an interface.  The use of it without an interface is not for most users. Also as Jean, Niraj and Jim (some of the worlds more advanced E+ users) mentioned, you want to use an interface. I suggest you start with design builder free month trial or possibly Bently's AECOSIM, one month free trial.  Ideally you would find one of these interfaces to your liking and buy a copy. Regardless of weather you buy a copy of your preferred interface, you can use one of them setup your detailed HVAC system for a single project with their user friendly interfaces and export to IDF.  When working with your IDF each outward node must end at a corresponding inward node.  You could use green space live to look at your HVAC system, or open the SVG files produces with your E+ run to explore your HVAC system. Also, Simergy and open studio provide IDF import as does N++..  Even the best E+ users will not typically start from scratch when building an HVAC system, rather they start with a template to setup nodes and then modify.  If you choose this route and do not use an interface to create your HVAC system you can use a HVAC template. Run your HVAC template file then open the .expidf file and change it to .idf and then look at the SVG, find the nodes you want to add equipment to or otherwise modify and then do so in IDF editor..

Hope this helps, and know that your problem is a shared problem... E+ is not really designed to be user friendly but is designed to be flexable, if you want user friendly you want an interface...

Jeremiah D. Crossett  | Senior Analyst  |  Phase Change Energy Solutions
120 E. Pritchard St.  | Asheboro, NC 27203  | Mobile 503-688-8951