Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] RE: Re: Cubic Curve in variable speed pump [5 Attachments]

Sorry, still no clear numbers, but reading from fig 48:
VSD Efficiency, Fraction 100% Design Speed
0.88, 0.0
0.92, 0.20
0.95, 0.40
0.97, 0.60
0.975, 0.80
0.98, 1.00

Assuing Pump Impeller Speed is directly proportional to Motor Speed (fixed gear ratio)

VSD Efficiency, Fraction 100% Impeller Speed
0.88, 0.0
0.92, 0.20
0.95, 0.40
0.97, 0.60
0.975, 0.80
0.98, 1.00

This allows us to use Pump Affinity Laws to relate, Fraction 100% Impeller Speed to Power, Flowrate and Pressure. Flowrate is linearly proportional to Impellar Speed.

VSD Efficiency, Fraction 100% Flowrate
0.88, 0.0
0.92, 0.20
0.95, 0.40
0.97, 0.60
0.975, 0.80
0.98, 1.00

So if we can get Pump Efficiency, Fraction 100% Flowrate at a constant pressure (as Jim says, most systems operate like this), then we can multiply the efficiencies to get the total efficiency into the equation and set motor efficiency to 1.

Total Efficiency, Fraction 100% Flowrate @ constant pressure (rated max pressure)
0.88*npump_0, 0.0
0.92*npump_20, 0.20
0.95*npump_40, 0.40
0.97*npump_60, 0.60
0.975*npump_80, 0.80
0.98*npump_100, 1.00

Power_in = Flowrate*dP/neff_tot...and dP changes quadratically with flowrate, therefore Power is propotional to Flow^3, therefore
P_in*neff_tot <=> Flowrate^3

FractionFullLoadPower_elec, Fraction of 100% Flowrate @ constant pressure (rated max pressure)
0.88*npump_0, 0.0^3
0.92*npump_20, 0.20^3
0.95*npump_40, 0.40^3
0.97*npump_60, 0.60^3
0.975*npump_80, 0.80^3
0.98*npump_100, 1.00^3

FractionFullLoadPower_elec = C1 + C2*PLR + C3*PLR^2 + C4*PLR^3
where C1,C2,C3,and C4 are Coefficients 1 ? 4 (below) and PLR is thee Part Load Ratio of the Flowrate.

For example:

PLR == Total Efficiency, FractionFullLoadPower @ constant pressure (rated max pressure)
0.88*0.10, 0
0.92*0.40, 0.008
0.95*0.62, 0.064
0.97*0.80, 0.216
0.975*0.88, 0.512
0.98*0.89, 1

PLR FractionFullLoadPower_elec
0.176 0
0.368 0.008
0.589 0.064
0.776 0.216
0.858 0.512
0.8722 1

A regression analysis in EXCEL gives y = 13.072x3 - 17.091x2 + 6.7231x - 0.7416
i.e.
- 0.7416
+6.7231
- 17.091
+13.072

2012 ASHRAE Handbook--HVAC Systems and Equipment (SI), section 44 fig. 48;
2012 ASHRAE Handbook--HVAC Systems and Equipment (SI), section 45;

This is way too much thinking for me. I'm off to lunch...happy error finding.