Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] RE: Natural vs. mechanical ventilation - difference in heating loads

You need to adjust your thinking to the simulation world. The zone sees that it receives a supplied air at said conditions (from a window or from a supply diffuser or both). It doesn't care where that air comes from.

That being said, I think you are right in the sense that the system must combat both latent and sensible loads, which in your case should be equal.

I suggest using a text editor to compare your files (expidf) to make sure the other fields are the same for all the other objects.

As a side note:

The mechanical system that delivers the air at said conditions, consumes energy (or not) to do that. For example, that system takes in a predifined outdoor air amount of cold outdoor air and needs to reheat it and humidify it (humidifiers eat energy) to bring it to your defined supply air conditions.

In your case A, you have a recirculation system. Depending on moisture loads from persons in the zone, the idealLoadshvac system may need to cool the extract air past the due point temperature to dehumidify and then reheat the air to the supply temp.

In case B, the window air is cold and causes drafts as it is not reheated as such. As the wellmixed zone simply mixes it in, this aspect is not considered by the program and the well mixed zone air temp seems fine. The mechanical system inserts enough warm air at preset condition to combate any loads that come from the cold air. The infiltration will however reduce the moisture content in the extract air.