From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Jeremiah Crossett [jcrossett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 12:35 PM
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] obtain the "Outdoor mass flow"

In IDF editor, select Output Variable Dictionary and set it as pasted below:
Key Field IDF
Sort Option Name
Then run your model. This will result in the production of RDD and MDD files with outputs correctly formatted to copy and paste into your IDF with IDF editor.  The files are to be opened with a text editor, and they are options under "all" in EP launch.  Also after the file has been run the RDD & MDD are referenced by IDF editor to produce dropdown options in output variable and meter.  These output names will be generated with a "*" key to generate all possible outputs for that output type. In order to get only the specific output you are after first run your model with the * key, then copy from the excel file the actual key you are after and use it to replace the *...
For example I have created a new output in a custom version I use that reports the PCM physical state for some nodes in a surface, but for a recent project that had several hundred surfaces and 30 nodes per surface it would have produced too much data to be useful.  So I named a typical roof section "roof" and then used that as the key value. Then used a node that was of interist for the PCM to change phase, resulting in a single useful output, rather then hundreds of not so useful outputs.
Key Value  Roof
Variable Name  CondFD Surface Phase Change State Node 20
Reporting Frequency hourly
Schedule Name

Jeremiah D. Crossett  | Senior Analyst  |  Phase Change Energy Solutions
 120 E. Pritchard St.  | Asheboro, NC 27203
<http://www.phasechange.com/>www.phasechange.com

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Yan, Ying <<mailto:yiy11005@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>yiy11005@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Jean,
> Thank you so much for your idea.  I have a question, how to change the output:variable dictionary type to idf? I tried to open the output:variable dictionary in IDF editor, but it does not work.  Thank you.
Best Regards
> Ying Yan
> Graduate Student
Electrical & Computer Engineering