Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] How to convert real weather data to epw file

There's a big caveat here.  The Zhang-Huang Model used to estimate solar radiation uses Cloud Cover as a key parameter. Therefore, if your recorded data does not include Cloud Cover, the solar radiation produced by the WeatherConverter will probably be incorrect.  Cloud Cover is generally reported by official weather stations, but NOT in non-official weather stations since it requires either human interpretation or specialized laser equipment.

Joe
Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D
Moraga CA 94556
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:yjhuang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>yjhuang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://weather.whiteboxtechnologies.com";>http://weather.whiteboxtechnologies.com</a> for simulation-ready weather data
(o) (925)388-0265
(c) (510)928-2683

On 6/2/2014 12:41 PM, '<mailto:jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx>jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx' <mailto:jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx>jeannieboef@xxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support] wrote:

If you leave the radiation fields blank, it is my understanding that the weather utility program does a good job of filling in this information.

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen- Sent from my iPhone (excuse the brevity)
> i. A.
Jean Marais
b.i.g. bechtold
Tel.   +49 30 6706662-23
> On 01.06.2014, at 00:19, "bb lei <mailto:bblei828@xxxxxxxxx>bblei828@xxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support]" <<mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear All
In order to calibrate my EnergyPlus model I have to use real time weather data from year 2011. But I don't know how to change my data from Excel file to epw format.
I tired to save it as CSV and use WeatherConverter but it have to be EnergyPlus CSV format. For other CSV files I should define a DEF file to describe the format.
Can someone help me with this problem? How to build a DEF file to describe the format?
Besides, the real time weather I found didn't include solar radiation data. Where can I find better weather data for calibration?
Thanks in advance.
Lei

 Posted by: Joe Huang <yjhuang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Primary EnergyPlus support is found at:
<http://energyplus.helpserve.com>http://energyplus.helpserve.com or send a message to energyplus-support@xxxxxxxx

<http://www.energyplus.gov>http://www.energyplus.gov

Attachments are currently allowed but be mindful that not everyone has a high speed connection.� Limit attachments to small files.

EnergyPlus Documentation is searchable.� Open EPlusMainMenu.pdf under the Documentation link and press the "search" button.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590/grpId=3387488/grpspId=1705007389/msgId=32106/stime=1401749912>