Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] simulation buildings that are located under the ground

Check the auxiliary programs document and in EP launch utilities tab for the basement object.  It performs a 3D model based on your IDF. How it works in simple terms is to calculate the temperatures over long time periods to account for the temperatures of the ground due to heat gained and released to the building model to produce other side temperatures from your basement.  You could enter temperatures in the ground temperature object if you know what they will be, however the assumptions are difficult thus the basement program utility.. I suppose a CFD or FEA program could help with these assumptions, but that would likely be much more difficult due to the interactions with the E+ model...
 The other ground temps available in IDF at different depths are only used for geo-exchange systems.  Note: state of the art in ground heat storage and transfer is known to not be as advanced as some might like...

â??â??
Jeremiah D. Crossett  | Senior Analyst  |  Phase Change Energy Solutions
â??â??
120 E. Pritchard St.  | Asheboro, NC 27203
 â??â??
<http://www.phasechange.com/>www.phasechange.com
  <http://i.imgur.com/Sldxf.jpg>

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM, <mailto:hesam_energy@xxxxxxxxx>hesam_energy@xxxxxxxxx [EnergyPlus_Support] <<mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi

> I Have no experience in e+ for modeling of buildings that are located under the ground! ( for Ex, depth 3-6 m)

> How can I define for e+ that my building is located under the ground?

> Should I manually enter the soil temperature at various depths?

> Do you have any idea about the modeling and simulation process of this case that help me?

> Best regards
> HESAM :)

 Posted by: Jeremiah Crossett <jcrossett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Primary EnergyPlus support is found at: