RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Rooftop outdoor air temperatures

Hi Joe. Some info that is somewhat related (shading rather than reflectance effects) is:

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publications/html/FSEC-PF-302-96/ (also published as a 2002 ACEEE Summer Study paper)

-Craig

From: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2014 19:38
To: EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Rooftop outdoor air temperatures

Craig,

Thanks for circulating this report, which goes a long ways in answering the question of how much do the air temperatures above a roof change when the roof reflectance changes (answer seems to be very little, around 0.3 C). Has anyone also looked into the impact of the increased solar gain on the AHU due to more reflected solar from the roof ?  This reminds me of the conversation I had with a colleague at an ASHRAE conference two years ago, who thought that increasing the albedo of streets and pavement might actually increase rather than decrease thermal discomfort of pedestrians due to the increased reflected solar, as well as visual discomfort.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D