Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Can Radiant system save energy?

Interesting question.  To me anyway.  I have a project in San Francisco where the loads using ASHRAE Handbook methods are well above the radiant capacities in the apartments, but there has not been a huge outcry of being cold all the time.  Granted, San Francisco is pretty mild (very mild), but the loads being twice or three times the capacity, well, I have to guess that it's because the loads using ASHRAE methods are met by lower radiant heating capacity than air system capacity.  This seems pretty intuitive, really, but I have not found any standard guidance yet (still looking).

So at the risk of being shown to be wholly ignorant, can anyone point me towards any design documentation regarding radiant heating capacity and how to meet heating loads calculated using "air system" methods?  ASHRAE guidance, perhaps?

Robert Wichert