Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Can Radiant system save energy?

On this forum it was replied recently that "pump/fan" energy aside, the envelope internal surface temperatures are higher for a radiant system and therefore more heat will be lost through the envelope. The benefit only becomes apparent when you sink the air thermostat temperature setting (which is possible whilst retaining the same operative temperature) which then negates the extra heat losses through the thermally warmer envelope on non-heated surfaces. It is known that water with its thermal capacitance is a far more efficient energy transport medium, so you should see energy savings on the fan/pump side of things.

That being said, both systems are sensitive to correct or optimized control stradegies. For example, hydronic radiant systems are not controlled to counter high sporadic load spikes, where as an air heating system can.  This makes both systems reliant on how occupants behave. Occupants behave differently dependant on which system they have.

The pump/fan pressure drops need to be pretty real for both systems... Static pressure drops and changing static pressure drops... it could get really complex.

ASHRAE journal had an article (month before last?) where a building in India was symetrical and each have optimized systems and controls for the repective VAV and radiant solutions.

Mit freundlichen GrüÃ?en- Sent from my iPhone (excuse the brevity)

i. A.
Jean Marais
b.i.g. bechtold
Tel.   +49 30 6706662-23