RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Mandating EnergyPlus: Is it the right tool for energy code compliance?

Tommy,

1.       I recommend moving to Michigan! J  We’re more reasonable, even if not as cool�.�� You’ll love the snow!

2.       DesignBuilder offers several options for area accounting (center of wall, exterior of wall, etc.), but also offers file imports from gbxml and other formats that should result in very accurate area calcs.  Open Studio and Simergy also offer this import option, I think.

3.       1 minute sims are overkill unless you’re doing a very specialized sim.  Nonetheless, AL of your simulations don’t need to be at the 1 minute interval.  Test carefully at smaller timesteps per hour and use 1 minute only after lots of testing and debugging.

Below is our internal process for “Running and Debugging”.  Mike Witte from the E+ development team provided most of this, but we’ve added our own details�  I think it wwill be helpful!

Running and Debugging (with thanks to M.J. Witte, GARD Analytics, Inc.)

  • Open your newly created and complete IDF file in IDF Editor.
  • Select the proper weather file.
  • Set the warmup days to >= 25 (BUILDING object).

·         Run the simulation for DesignDays only. All normal models and modelers have many little problems that can be resolved without running the model for the entire weather year (and wasting a bunch of time!):

o   You may want to add a couple intermediate weather DesignDay to the normal Summer and Winter DesignDays after getting the simulation working well for Summer and Winter.  This is a day in which cooling and heating may occur on the same day and also one where your economizer will experience the trip condition (from full outdoor air to minimum)

o   It’s helpful to include full operation on DesignDays for all scheduled equipment items.  Energy Plus treats DesignDays as completely separate from “real” schedules.  In order to see if the systems are working properly during the DesignDay runs, you’ll want to make sure everything is ON in your scheduling.

o   Consider making a much smaller “dummy” SLIM file with enough zones for testing.  This smaller SLIM file should run a lot faster and enable faster debugging.

§  The idea is to test small portions of the facility before testing the entire facility.  Prove that each of the smaller portions works properly before combining them into a single large model.

§  The “dummy” file must include correct zone names and quantities.

§  Certain multi-zone systems will need “doctoring “ to get the zone / system air balance in line

§  If you are autosizing anything, you may find that, for example, the autosized supply air flow is less than the specified exhaust air flow, causing a system to run at 100% OA continuously.  (Supply air flow is small because your “dummy” file represents a smaller building with less load.)

o   These might also be helpful (but are not tested yet) for models that take a long time to run, even when using the above suggestions:

§  Set Building, Solar Distribution to “MinimalShadowing”

§  Set ShadowCalculation, Calculation Frequency to a larger value than default (say, 30 days)

§  Set Timestep to 2 (perhaps even 1.  Accuracy is reduced, but this should help for speed until you are confident that all problems are resolved.)

§  Set ConvergenceLimits, Minimum System Timestep to a larger value (say, 15 minutes.  Same caution as for timestep above)

§  It is recommended that you use simple shaped zones, with less surfaces. i.e., make the model zones more "square".

§  As rules-of-thumb, EnergyPlus simulations can be slowed down by many windows, many zones, many windows per zone, many surfaces or many surfaces per zone. By lumping building components together rationally, large models can be simplified and thus run much faster. As Einstein said � keep it as simple ass possible, but no simpler. Large models can be simplified to a certain degree without sacrificing simulation accuracy. The techniques to simplify large models have been explained in modeling guides, such as the simulation related design briefs and design guidelines in the EnergyDesignResources.com web site, and implemented in some simulation programs, for example, using standard floor shape and layout, adopting typical zoning patterns, and using floor multipliers to represent standard typical floors with similar characteristics. (“EnergyPlus Run Time Analysis” by T. Hong, F. Buhl, P. Haves 12/15/2008)

  • Use .rvi files to keep variables organized.

·         Start debugging

o   Use the .err file which is created during each run to identify the source of errors.  The .err file is almost always very specific about the cause of an error, but is sometimes hard to understand.  Read carefully!

o   Review the .svg diagram after getting the model to run without fatal errors using Visio or another .svg file viewer.

o   When debugging, focus exclusively on errors which are noted BEFORE a “Fatal” error.  Everything past that hasn’t been fully screened and is likely to be bogus. Although they may give a clue why the fatal error occurred, my experience is that I should NEVER pay any attention to errors listed after a fatal error; they’re meaningless.

o   Pay attention to the Warnings, not just “fatal” and “severe” errors.  These are occasionally indicative of a problem that, while not preventing completion of the simulation, should be corrected to assure accuracy and improve runtime speed.

o   In rare cases, you may want to turn off the HVAC system by setting availability manager schedules to always be OFF.  This may allow a simulation to complete, but with warnings for further diagnosis.

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
www.buildingperformanceteam.com
Energy Analysis, Commissioning & Training Services
1631 Acacia Drive, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 USA
616 450 8653