Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Overhanging / Canopy like roof.

Hi all,

I'm quite interested in the subject, because i posted a similar answer a few month ago.
I tried to find a good way to know what is happening in the air gap between this separated canopy and my conditioned space roof, in order to check that the fact to model the canopy as a big shade was that efficient. Changing reflectivity of the canopy, surface coefficient algorithm, etc.

Another option i thought, and that Ned Lyon seemed to confirm, was to model this air gap as a totally ventilated space. This last thing, i still didn't try. Even if it sounds good, isn't it too "complicated" to see what happens...?

At last, when i change the air gap height, i have some differences, but it's only due to the fact that solar radiation is touching more or less of my conditioned space roof.

By experience, does anyone think that the air gap temperature could increase so much that this big shading device would be unproductive (depending on its height, for example)...?

Sorry for not answering, but keeping asking...

When i model the air gap as a ventilated space, i'll let you know.

Regards,

It would be useful to know if you are employing any other passive measures for reducing cooling load parallely. In my limited experience, I have seen that a certain combination of passive measures would lead to a particular level of reduction in cooling load. To clarify, say there are 3 measures, A, B and C. When you employ measure A, you may get a large reduction and small reduction for B and C. Next time, if you employ B first, you may again see a large reduction followed by small ones for A and C. So, it is not just the particular passive measure you are employing at a certain step, rather it is also useful to consider what other measures have been already put in place to reduce loads.

regards,

asit