[EnergyPlus_Support] Leed Points For Residential High Rise Buildings

I am looking for a reality check from some experienced modelers.  We have been running Leed checks on some proposed high rise residential buildings.  The base buildings must have PTACs and hot water coils.  The proposed building would like to use WSHP.  Our findings are that WSHP alone will not generate any credits (actually costs more).  It appears that any efficiency in unit equipment and energy exchange is lost in the water loop pumping, cooling tower operation and compressor operation for heating.  Larger windows with poorer SHGC in the proposed doesn’t help either.  Is this similar to other people’s experience? Or are we missing something that could save the day?  Are more efficient PTACs (and smaller, better windows) the only way to go?

Thanks in advance…as I’ve said before, I seldom model actual mechanical systems in the work I do with EnergyPlus.

Ned Lyon, P.E. (MA, WV)
Staff Consultant

SIMPSON GUMPERTZ & HEGER
     | Engineering of Structures and Building Enclosures

41 Seyon Street, Bldg. 1, Suite 500
Waltham, MA 02453

781.907.9000 main
781.907.9350 direct