[EnergyPlus_Support] Problem with Solar Radiation Setpoint for Shading control

Hi all,

In order to check how the WindowProperty:ShadingControl works, I used a shoebox model (1 zone, 4 windows - one to each orientation, WindowMaterial:Shade  as an external shading system for each window that cuts off 50% of solar radiation, AFN: constant window opening according to a schedule). At the WindowProperty:ShadingControl shading system was scheduled to be ON from May to September AND â??OnIfHighSolarOnWindowâ?? (Shading control type) with a setpoint of 100W/m2. The results show that shading is ON for more time than it should be and for incident solar radiation (Beam plus diffuse) on the window less than 100W/ m2 (it is on even for 55W/ m2). According to the table below the shading system is On for 20-30% more time than it should be when the setpoint is 100W/m2 but when the setpoint is 200W/m2 the extra time is decreased to 0-4%. For setpoint 50W/m2 the results are between 15-26%.

Setpoint 100W/m2

Setpoint 200W/m2

Setpoint 50W/ m2

North

30%

0%

26%

East

20%

2%

15%

South

21%

4%

19%

West

20%

2%

15%

I use E+ V.8.6 but I also tested some of the above on V.8.3 too and I got the same results.

I am planning to use the WindowProperty:ShadingControl â??OnIfHighSolarOnWindowâ?? with setpoint 100W/m2 to a multizone building so I need to identify the reason for this differentiation in the results.

Any help will be really appreciated !

Thanks in advance,

Katerina Drakou

Posted by: katdra83@xxxxxxxx