[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: How to model an air-cooled scroll-type heat pump

Hi Dr Li,

I am encountering the similar system problems. I would like to simulate the air source heat pump system. And I use HVAC template for VAV system and my air side in the zones follows the template. After I expanded the idf files, I used to use centralheatpump system but failed as the fluid required should be water not air. I am confused how to simulate air source heat pump for cooling and heating source in the plant system level. For cooling I could simluate chiller as air cooled. how about heating?

I used HVAC template with chilled water loop and hot water loop such the default setting is chiller and boiler. When editing the node connections as well as branch and branchlist, is there any suggesstions for connection?

---In EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <yli006@...> wrote :

There are many heatpump examples in the exampleFiles folder.  Try:

HeatPumpWaterToAir.idf

It has water chiller, air condenser, and hot water.

I do not understand why you must follow an example file.  FRaw the system diatram that you require, and fit inthe components.

You should have zones, AHU system water cooling and heating coilss and fan, with OA mixer.

Water chiller using heatpump in a Chilled water Plant loop.

Water heater using the same heatpump in the heating mode with auxiliary heaters, if needed, in a Hot water plant loop.

You may have problem naming the nodes, therefore you se a HVAC template for chiller loop and hotwater loop to help.  In the chiller template and the HW template, there may be heatpump as the equipment.  That is how you learn to use EPlus.

Template is written in a MACRO format, and is ecpanded to  .expIDF for simulation.  The .expIDF can be rename to IDF and run directtly.  After running a few templaes, you can cut and paste the expanded version directly.  So. PTHP template will have the air to air heatpump.

Let me know, if you still have problems.

 Dr. Li