Re: *****SPAM***** [EnergyPlus_Support] Future weather file

You could try WeatherShift developed by Arup Associates in conjunction with someone else whose name I've forgotten.

I believe you must upload your base weather file in epw, and then it will create a future year file for free for you.

You can also purchase "pre-made" future year weather files in epw.

A few technical caveats or explanations:

1. All these weather shifting programs work by "morphing" an existing weather file by changing the monthly averages and daily range predicted by the Global Circulation Models (GCM), i.e., climate change programs, i.e., they assume that the underlying climate patterns do not change but only shift.  However, most experts say that Climate Change will  likely lead to greater instability in the atmosphere so that extremes will be more intense and longer-lasting.  Effects such as these will not be reflected in the "morphing" approach.

2. Since the GCMs operate on a half-degree grid, the changes used in the "morphing" are for a rather large area (50 km x 30 km) that's applied to all weather stations within that grid.

3. Although different GCMs predict similar average trends for the whole planet, they can give very different results for different regions of the globe. That's why WeatherShift uses the results from a collection of CGMs.

4. GCMs all consider a variety of future scenarios, like those used by the IPCC - A1FI, B2, C, D - depending on how society responds to Climate Change, A1FI (Fossil Fuel Intensive) producing the highest impact, and C & D producing the smallest impact due to more use of renewables, etc.

When you get down to it, "morphing" a weather file is not particularly difficult to do, and something I've done for several government-funded projects for the past 12 years.  How many locations and what time scale are you thinking?  If it's limited to a few large cities and you're satisfied with work done a decade ago, I might be able to dig those out for you.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 205A