Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] EMS - get the value of a variable at the previous timestep

Well, you might be able to use the same name, I haven't tried. My guess is no. You wouldn't want to confuse them anyway.

Sensors read data that is usually a report variable available in Output:Variable reports (see EMS guide). The actuators act on specific equipment performance. Your sensor will be whatever it needs to be for you to figure out what to do with the actuator. The actuator could be the fan or terminal unit mass flow rate.

EnergyManagementSystem:Sensor,
  T1,                          !- Name
  Perimeter_ZN_1,              !- Output:Variable or Output:Meter Index Key Name
  Zone Mean Air Temperature;   !- Output:Variable or Output:Meter Name

EnergyManagementSystem
:Actuator,
   MySAFanFlow,                ! Name
   My Supply Air Fan,          ! Actuated Component Unique Name

  Fan,                        ! Actuated Component Type

  Fan Air Mass Flow Rate;     ! Actuated Component Control Type

Fan:OnOff,
  My Supply Air Fan,           ! Name

Then in the EMS program use:

IF T1 > 20,