Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] EnergyPlus Beginner

Asia,

Self-learning is a challenge with EnergyPlus! If you can attend a training seminar, such as those offered by Big Ladder Software, or DesignBuilder, I think that's the fastest and most effective method.

Another plan is to study the many example files that are included in the EnergyPlus download, combined with the EnergyPlus documentation. That will give you an idea of how E+ structures its input files (which are all text)

For a "big picture" understanding of energy modeling, ASHRAE and IBPSA co-sponsor a seminar called "Energy Modeling Best Practices and Applications", which is offered occasionally in different locations around the USA.

Finally, there may be an IBPSA chapter near you and you might find a mentor to assist your learning.

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, BCxP
Team Lead - Building Performance
616 450 8653
Foresight Management

Coffee Conversation:

Some people think science is the only tool we should use to investigate the world. This belief is self-refuting because there is no scientific experiment that proves the only reliable form of knowledge is science. In addition, we believe in many things that can’t be proven with science, eg, “Do you love me?“ or “Is science important?“ can’t be answered with science. Science can tell us how the world is, but it can’t tell us how the world ought to be.