[Equest-users] Wizard DX EER Correction

Paul Riemer Paul.Riemer at dunhameng.com
Wed Aug 13 15:12:35 PDT 2008

I thought Andrew said this mostly well but maybe equations would help.

EER = (Cooling Output Btu/hr ) / (Supply Fan W + Compressor W + Condenser Fan W)

COP = Output / Input and is unitless

EIR = 1/COP (so it is also unitless) = (Compressor Input + Condenser Input) / (Cooling Output)

So hopefully you see that EIR does not include supply fan energy.  All fan energy is modeled in DOE-2 based on the separate fan energy inputs and assumptions.  Of course ASHRAE 90.1-2004 Section 6 and Appendix G including amendments prescribe baseline fan power limits and part load performance.

I believe the Standard Test Procedure for determining the EER rating includes a prescribed external static pressure but exactly what portion of the total unit electric energy is due to the supply fan would vary a little from unit to unit based on type of fan, internal static losses, etc.

So the eQUEST WIZARD is removing an assumed standard fan component from the entered EER and doing a units conversion to determine a cooling efficiency (EIR) for DOE-2.

I have in my files:

EIR =  (1/EER-0.012167)/((1/3.413)+ 0.012167)
EIR =  (1/SEER*0.778+1.4)-0.012167)/((1/3.413)+ 0.012167)

I do not recall where I found this but obviously I attribute it to the above eQUEST development team. I do apologize if it is out of date, misinterpreted, or mistyped.

I encourage digging deep through the program, its help files, and the various archives and also attending a training session like the Energy Center of Wisconsin's with Marlin Addison.

Paul Riemer