[Equest-users] FW: Number of systems required by 90.1?

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Wed Dec 10 10:29:46 PST 2008

The difference in energy consumption becomes especially apparent when you have a shutoff VAV system with reheat (like I do with this particular model).  If, for example, a ground floor interior zone called for heating after-hours because of heat loss thru the slab, and you only had one system for the whole building that has to operate, the energy consumption is significantly more than if you have a system for each floor.

If LEED gives you the option to use Addenda or not use Addenda, then in my case, I would more than likely NOT choose to use it.  As long as this is acceptable, which it appears it is, I can take significant credit for having multiple AHUs in lieu of a single RTU system.

It sort of feels like cheating to do this, but ASHRAE is very specific on how you are to model the Baseline building, and I’m not doing anything “wrong”, per se, by using a single system for the Baseline building.  For what it’s worth, there are a lot of buildings that use package penthouse AHUs…

GHT Limited
James Hansen, PE, LEED AP

Senior Associate

1010 N. Glebe Rd, Suite 200