[Equest-users] Increase in roof insulation increases cooling load.

Eric O'Neill elo at MichaelsEngineering.com
Fri Dec 19 09:28:20 PST 2008

Cyrus,

I would suggest doing some basic verification. ASHRAE fundamentals has a
few chapters with a lot of good info on heating and cooling loads that
you can serve as a double check. I wouldn't suggest just accepting the
results on blind faith. There are quite a few inputs to a model, and
although sometimes things can be mentally justified (like what I did in
my previous response), they aren't necessarily theoretically justified
(if you have an economizer, then my example makes no sense). Do some
hand calculations, and make some predictions and test and verify various
settings. I would also suggest doing some hourly reports for both
simulations, and lining up the 8760 data next to each other and see if
the corresponding discrepancies between the simulated insulation
differences line up when you would expect them to.

In terms of selecting an insulation value through eQuest, I would be
careful about the validity of that sort of prediction. The model is only
as good as your inputs. The simulations should be used as a reasonable
estimate for the savings of a specific ECM, however, using it to
identify a peak savings value seems contrary to what energy modeling
should be used for. Appendix G states (under G1.2 note 2) "Neither the
proposed building performance nor the baseline building performance are
predictions of actual energy consumption or costs". I think the
intention of this is to say we should be using the energy model to give
us an analysis of certain measures, but should not be used as a design
tool.

Also, make sure your utility rates are set up properly. If there is peak
demand savings on a ratcheted utility rate for the higher insulation, it
might use more total energy, but if your demand is high enough, the
bills could potentially be lower (which is how LEED EAcr1 judges the
effectiveness of the measures).

Eric