[Equest-users] Glazing distributed uniformly in horizontal bands

Steve Mignogna smignogna at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 12:50:34 PDT 2008

Bill-

I found this CIR, which should help to clarify whether or not you can use
the addenda.  It seems like you should be fine with using just that one part
of the addenda.

*20/2007 - * *Credit Interpretation Request*
The intent of this credit is to "Achieve increasing levels of energy
performance above the baseline in the prerequisite standard to reduce
environmental and economic impacts associated with excessive energy use."

The requirements of Option 1 of this credit are as follows:
- Demonstrate a percentage improvement in the proposed building performance
rating compared to the baseline building performance rating per ASHRAE/IESNA
Standard 90.1-2004 (without amendments) by a whole building project
simulation using the Building Performance Rating Method in Appendix G of the
Standard.

Table G3.1, number 5.c. in Appendix G of the Standard concerns vertical
fenestration.

The baseline requirement is as follows:
- Vertical fenestration areas for new buildings and additions shall equal
that in the proposed design or 40% of the gross above-grade wall area,
whichever is smaller, and shall be distributed uniformly in horizontal bands
across the four orientations.

The exception that we would like to take is as follows:
- The intent of the baseline requirement is to encourage thoughtful
fenestration orientation and glazing percentage of a building that results
in energy savings. The Project is an exception to this approach.
- The facility exists for the purpose of sports viewing. The field-side
glazing exists in order for the facility to function as intended.
- The exterior walls of concessions, restrooms, and other ancillary spaces
typically do not have glazing. Concessions and restrooms are typically
semi-heated only. Modeling the baseline with glazing distributed over the
concessions and restrooms doesn't seem to meet the intent of the Standard.
- We would like to model the baseline building performance and the proposed
building performance with the same vertical fenestration-the actual building
fenestration. We ask that this exception is made for the project.
    * 5/13/2007 - * *Ruling*
The baseline and the proposed design can be modeled with the windows
distributed around the building as in the proposed design. The baseline
cannot have more than 40% window area as a percentage of total wall area. As
posted on the USGBC website, project teams can use addenda in the most
recent Supplement to the ASHRAE standards (see
http://www.usgbc.org/ShowFile.aspx?DocumentID=2664). Addendum A documents
this change.
------

Steve Mignogna