[Equest-users] Green Roof

Francisco Rodriguez-Ema fjrodriguezema at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 07:29:34 PDT 2008

I am not an expert in eQuest modelling, but are getting into it recently.
As for Green Roofs, one must be able to consider various factors to
determine effectively the overall energy savings provided by it.  The most
common way is assigning a R-Value.

Factors to consider:

   1. Not all soils are the same.  Depending on their composition (refer to
   FLL standards), each soil will have a different R-Value per inch depth.
   2. Soil depth.
   3. Does the Green Roof system have an air/vapor layer within it?
   4. Location of the Green Roof.  Its not the same a Green Roof in Chicago
   versus one in San Juan, Puerto Rico.  Rainfall and ET rates affect the soils
   moisture content, which in turn affect the R-Value. A wetter soil is much
   "better" at reducing temperatures than a dry soil.
   5. Does the green roof have an irrigation system?
   6. Enough of the soil: now lets move on to the vegetation.
   7. Must consider type of vegetation.  It´s not the same to have an
   extensive grass cover versus having an intensive shrubs/trees cover.

I believe there is model out there sponsored by the USGBC specifically for
Green Roofs, but I cannot confirm that right now.  Will try to find more
info on that.

Sincerely,

Ing. Francisco Rodriguez-Ema, PE, MSCE
PR Green Design