[Equest-users] Single-Family Residence

Chris Balbach cbalbach at psdconsulting.com
Fri Sep 5 06:59:35 PDT 2008

Fransisco:

There are many 'calculators' and simplified energy tools on the market
that can be applied for residential energy modeling and predictions of
savings. Most of them use 'simplified' algorithms or bin types of
analysis. A few use whole building energy modeling like E-Quest. IMHO,
although it can be used, E-Quest is serious overkill for what you are
probably looking to accomplish.

If you are looking for a 8760 (hourly) whole building energy simulation
tool that was designed specifically for modeling the energy usage in
single and multifamily residences, I suggest you take a look at TREAT
software. TREAT (Targeted Retrofit Energy Analysis Tool) wraps an easy
to use interface around SUNREL, an hourly calculation engine developed
by NREL.

The TREAT software integrates a billing analysis module, which allows
users to import both actual electric and fuel bills along with matching
real weather data, create a baseline model, and then interactively
adjust the 'baseline' model's predicted energy use to closely match
amounts of energy and fuel consumed by the structure using weather
normalized actual bills. In addition, once the user has created a
'trued-up' baseline model, TREAT provides a easy to use scenario
management tool which allows for easy generation of improvements and
packages (collections of improvements) with a focus of identifying
packages with the cost effective results (in other words , best
cost-benefit ratios).  Finally, TREAT has an easy interface to allow for
post construction utility bills and post construction actual weather to
be imported, where output from the model used to predict energy savings
can be compared to actual energy savings, fuel by fuel, to verify the
predicted savings are being delivered (or more importantly quickly
identify if they are not).  This can be done after month one of post
construction, giving 'fast feedback' to the homeowner as to whether the
improvements they invested in are having the desired energy savings impact.

A 30 day fully functional version of TREAT can be downloaded from
http://www.treatsoftware.com. I would encourage you to check it out,
especially if you are working with existing single family homes. We
train contractors to model single family homes in TREAT in 2 hours or
less (from the time they sit down for data input to the time they
produce a comprehensive work scope and proposal for a homeowner).  It
can be a powerful energy prediction and monitoring tool in the hands of
a competent user.

Best,

_Chris

Chris Balbach, Vice President of Research and Development
Performance Systems Development
124 Brindley Street, Suite 4, Ithaca, NY 14850
http://www.psdconsulting.com
ph: (607)-327-1647