[Equest-users] Glass center-of-glass to assembly U-Value?

Daniel Grammier dgrammier at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 09:19:04 PDT 2008

According to the California Energy code (Title 24) Non-Residental ACM manual
Section NI.1:

NI.1 Solar Heat Gain Coefficient
This section describes the alternative calculation method for determining
compliance for eligible site-built
products. The following equation may be used to calculate the fenestration
product's SHGC used to
determine compliance. Convert the center of glass SHGC, SHGCc, from the
manufacturer's documentation
to a value for the fenestration product with framing, SHGCfen,
SHGCfen = 0.08 + 0.86 X SHGCc
Where:
SHGCfen is the SHGC for the fenestration including glass and frame.
SHGCc is the SHGC for the center of glass alone

This is how California defines the overall SHGC for code compliance.  I'm
not sure where they got the equation from, but I have used it successfully
in the past.

Daniel Grammier, LEED AP
Mechanical Engineer IV
Syska Hennessy Group