[Equest-users] EnergyPlus--Quest Competitor or Natural Evolution

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:27:51 PDT 2009

I agree that there are some serious disconnects occurring between the
design, modeling, construction and building operation.  I have been on
projects where the design engineer claimed that all pumps will operate at
variable speeds, but no control valves were specified for coils, meaning
that while pumps are supplied with VSDs, no variable speed pumping is
actually possible.  I've also seen projects reported where the design team
touted the installation of high-efficiency boilers (94% or better), and then
also claimed to be saving pumping energy by running loop temperatures hot,
around 180 F.  You have to be very careful with this combination.  I don't
know of a boiler that can provide 94% efficiency at 180F supply water
temperature without some very fancy heat exchangers.

Sometimes field changes are made that cut into the energy performance of a
building.  Simple pipe distribution and pumping changes can have large
energy performance impacts.  Simple misplacement of a DP sensor in a pumping
loop can result in inadequate flow to heating and cooling coils.  This often
results in an efficient pumping system being forced into an all-on position
so that all systems are provided with adequate flow.  Each building tells
its own story.  I've seen fantastic engineers produce horrible models
because they understand how buildings work, but not how computer programs
think.

When I first started watching this list-serve, someone said "if you can't
develop a simple excel spreadsheet calculation to estimate what you are
trying to model, you shouldn't be modeling it."  I think that we all need to
take this to heart.  You should be able to explain each and every result.
If you can't, look through hourly outputs.  See how the program is
calculating things.  Figure out what is going on.  All of the output reports
available from eQuest allow for a window into the calculation mechanism of
the program that is absolutely fantastic.  It is unlikely that I will use a
modeling program that doesn't provide me with this sort of transparency, and
post-processing ability.

I have looked through Energy Plus.  On the surface it seems that there's
some valuable functionality available that is not currently available in
eQuest, but without a fully-functional graphical user interface, and
extensive testing, none of that matters.  Precision does not equal accuracy.

--
Karen