[Equest-users] GSHP Simulation Results

Scott Hackel shackel at ecw.org
Mon Apr 27 12:13:05 PDT 2009

Stephen -
I have seen significant savings on several GSHP models, but never quite as high as you're showing.  I'd agree with the replies you've gotten so far, especially the point about supplemental heat on the air-source system...If your building is in a northern climate then your air-source system will be running on electrical resistance most of the heating season, unless you have a cold-climate heat pump and modify the lock-out temperature accordingly...

I'd also add, on your ground-source model (especially since this is research-level work), you should check that the default performance curves in eQUEST (which you can view in the detailed interface) reflect your equipment well.  The EER and COP you mention are pretty high; as the fluid temperatures change in the model, is the heat pump efficiency reflecting levels similar to what the manufacturer had documented for the actual equipment you're trying to model?  And last but certainly not least, I would turn on an hourly report of the heat pump entering water temperature, and check it to be sure that the loop field you're modeling is giving you reasonable temperatures back at your heat pumps (and that backup heat isn't being used at all for the GSHPs - unless you're planning a hybrid system).

Best of luck to you -

Scott Hackel

Energy Engineer
LEED AP