[Equest-users] [Equest-User] skylight and daylight control

YinRic cesseric at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 4 02:41:13 PDT 2009

Hi all.

We have a large workshop (around 10,000 m2) to go for LEED. An attic is built on top of the roof to introduce daylight into the space and save energy (according to my suggestion). Right below the attic is manufacturing zone, around which is docking and undocking zones and meeting rooms. The surrounding zones makes the huge manufacturing zone "interior zone" although daylight from both the attic and windows can access to this zone. The problem is:

1. I am not sure if the attic, which is built as "second floor" but "open to below" could show any contribution to lighting power saving in Equest. Actually, with daylight sensors, this attic does save energy when daylight is abundant. Does "open to below" mean "100% transparent" in Equest?

2. I found it impossible to put a daylight sensor in the manufacturing zone, where the attic is intended for, just because in my model, it is an "interior zone". My zoning was according to diffrent functions. There is even no interior partition between the manufacturing zone and docking zone. Doesn't Equest consider daylight from above, even if it is actually an interior zone?

The owner has spent huge lots of money to build this attic. I do hope it could show positive performance in Equest instead of nothing. Any comments are welcome.

Rick, PE, LEED AP