[Equest-users] Water heaters

Lars Fetzek lfetzek at phoenixeng.us
Mon Aug 10 08:26:48 PDT 2009

Hello,

    I noticed the equest considers water heaters as part of the water-side
HVAC system.  Also, it assumes hot water circulation loops.  My building has
some tank water heaters and some instant water heaters (serving different
restrooms and breakrooms).  None of these are on a circulation loop.  How
can I construct such water heaters in equest?
    Also, the water heaters and restroom sinks that use the hot water are
all in unconditioned space that is exhausted.  I'm guessing that they
therefore don't have to be counted as sensible or latent loads on the HVAC
systems.  However, is it necessary to explain to equest that the one
breakroom sink that uses hot water exists in a certain HVAC zone and is thus
a thermal load?  If so, how do I do so while accounting for the fact that
the tank water heater serving that sink (and serving some of the
unconditioned restroom sinks) is not in that HVAC zone?
    Thanks for reading/replying, as usual.

Lars Fetzek
Phoenix Engineering Group
Tampa Florida