[Equest-users] Space volume affecting load calcs

Lars Fetzek lfetzek at phoenixeng.us
Fri Aug 28 11:39:24 PDT 2009

eQuesters,

    I have a 3-story atrium that is shaped differently on each of the three
stories.  Accordingly, I have provided the 3-bazillion polygons necessary to
denote the various interior and exterior wall and floor segments that form
the envelope of this atrium.  So as to conform to eQuest's required input
data structure, I defined the atrium, itself, as belonging only to the 1st
floor.  Accordingly, I will define the space height as the sum of the three
stories heights (interpolating for the slanted roof atop the 3rd story).
When the HVAC load calcs are performed by eQuest, will they correctly
reflect the actual volume of the irregular geometry that I constructed or
will it simplistically multiply the stated space height by the area of the
polygon defining the bottom of this space?
    Thanks, anyone, in advance, for your helpful answer/insight.

Lars Fetzek, EI
Phoenix Engineering Group
Tampa, Florida