[Equest-users] Purchased Heat

YinRic cesseric at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 16 19:32:46 PDT 2009

Hi Dakota,

Your information is complete and thorough. Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Rick

Subject: RE: [Equest-users] Purchased Heat
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:08:54 -0500
From: dakotak at teliospc.com
To: cesseric at hotmail.com
CC: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org

Rick,

I wouldn’t go with no heating; you can model this scenario directly in eQUEST:

·         Make sure you have your steam loop created, then create a steam meter under “Utility & Economics”
·         Assign the meter to your steam loop when prompted
·         Create a utility rate of type “steam” and make sure it is set to serve your steam meter
·         Set up block charges for different times of the year to create your steam rate.  For the three months that have a fixed rate, you could create a block with $0/unit and define a minimum $5,000 charge (steam rate properties…Min/Max Charges tab…Fixed Chrgs ($/mon) column).  Set the min to $0 or whatever it should be for the other 9 months.  Note that for a steam meter, you can define the Btu/billing unit under the steam meter’s Properties/Basic Specifications tab.

Creating the rate schedule will be the hardest part, but it’s not that difficult.  The process is also well-documented in Volume 2 of the supporting documentation.  The way I would do it is:

·         Create a block schedule of type “flag” – this will define when your various blocks are active/inactive
·         Create your blocks as needed; you’ll only have two if the rest of the year follows a single rate schedule
·         On each block’s Basic Specifications tab, apply the block schedule you created and give each block a flag value
·         If necessary, adjust your block schedule to ensure it corresponds to the flag values you assigned to the blocks (you will probably have thought this out when creating the schedule, however)

To ensure you set it up correctly, you can use the ES-E and ES-F reports to inspect your steam rate’s monthly billing.  Feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions about the above.

Thanks,

                        DAKOTA KELLEY
                                Project Designer

                                Office:      214-744-6199
                                Cell:         214-280-3825
                                Fax:         214-744-0770

http://www.teliospc.com          3535 Travis St. Suite 115
dakotak at teliospc.com             Dallas, TX 75204

| MEP ENGINEERING · ENERGY MODELING · LEED CONSULTATION · COMMISSIONING |

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed,
And may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you
are not the intended recipient, please email the sender immediately, and delete this email from all computers.  Any
distribution or other use is strictly prohibited.  Copyright © 2009 Telios Corporation.